Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Small Victories

Early morning yesterday, as I dug through my big-enough-to-fit-a-class-of-preschoolers sized suitcase, a glorious thing happened. Well, mostly for me given that my full-out squealing disturbed Sleeping Beauty in her negligee. I found my chucks! I nearly hyperventilated and immediately reached for my camera to document this beautiful twist of fate until I realized that everyone already knows what white chucks look like and I should probably save the space on my memory card for more exciting photos like our dresses hanging in the closet. Small Victory #1.

This was the first in what will (hopefully) continue to be small and equally heart-poundingly wonderful victories. I also found my brand new tweezers (no Em, I didn't steal yours) in my purse and felt like I had really pulled one over on airport security. Small victory #2. Those were the really very small victories.

After successfully brewing two cups of coffee from bathroom water, we were off to the hotel gym. Small victory #3 would be that two treadmills were open right next to each other and man did we own those things. Three miles in a gym with absolutely no fans...only the warm, thick air from the sweat of businessmen in ill-fitting gym shorts. One mile in we were both sweating like a pair of humping wildebeests. (credit goes to google here. i actually searched "sweating like a..." and this was the least offensive thing that came up) Anyway, we made it out successfully and even did some exercises that resemble something Dwayner makes me do with the medicine ball. Later in the afternoon when I was helping the bride and groom set up for the rehearsal dinner, I impressed some Brits with my ability to single-handedly move Adirondack chairs. Whatchu got on that?

While I was impressing the Englishmen with my unparalleled strength, Mamie was completing what was effectively our very biggest victory of the day. Small victory #4. Let me set this up... We have a gorgeous pool at our hotel and we are the only folks there. Well, aside from one or two beached-whale businessmen who roll out after their afternoon meetings. On our first trip to the pool our hopes of being served fruity cocktails by a hunky poolboy were dashed when we saw the bar fully empty so we've decided to improvise. Since I was bridesmaiding, Mamie walked a good three miles to the nearest liquor store for a bottle of prosecco and accidentally got a bottle of gin as well. When asked how far the liquore store was, the conceierge said that it wasn't really walkable to which I replied proudly, "We are from the northeast. We walk," and I sent Mamie on her way. I'm still feeling guilt about this, so I'll be serving the role of hunky poolboy for the remainder of the trip and she will never mix a drink. This is clearly a victory.

The remainder of the day was spent at the rehearsal dinner with our new bestie, Jess, who was wearing the cutest belt I've ever seen. She's the one who is not Mamie or me in this here photo. We got to know the groomsmen and ate an unbelievable amount of "pudding." This is what the Englishmen call dessert. It was actually some layered delicious chocolate thing.

OH, I almost forgot about Small Victory #5! We stopped by the hotel bar for a drink because we just couldn't waste our cute dresses.



The bartender's New York accent lured us in and, clearly, we made friends with him. His name is Alex. He actually showed us 4x6 photos of his childhood home that he just keeps there behind the bar and told us colorful stories of his alcoholic/drug addict days. We also made friends with Patrick, a medical equipment salesman, who kindly bought our drinks because he appreciated what we do for a living. He did say that he has a friend who does that Teach America thing and had a gun pulled on her. I don't think we made him a steward of our movement, but letting the man buy us drinks was the first step. We told Alex we'd see him again on Saturday. Because we will.

Off to get the next layer of our sweet tans, we remain,

Kimber and Mamie

1 comment:

  1. What does it say about me that I'm reading this at 7:30pm in the office that neither of you is currently in? It says about me, "You're lame. Get outside. Go frolic in the sunshine, soon-to-be thunderstorm." So, that's what I'll do. I miss both of you and your cheery selves. Or, Kimber's cheery self and Mamie's no-nonsense schtick that Shagran won't mess with... Have a ball (and thanks for completing the timesheet). :)

    ReplyDelete